Reshaping the Air Force and Space Force for Supremacy in Great Power Competition
The Department of the Air Force’s top civilian and military leaders announced sweeping plans to transform and optimize the Air Force and Space Force, ensuring their continued dominance in these domains. The changes are aimed at enhancing deterrence and readiness in the face of Great Power Competition.
- Consolidate force development functions under an expanded Airman Development Command, providing Airmen a clear and mission-focused training path.
- Expand technical tracks for officers and create technical tracks for enlisted Airmen, reintroducing warrant officers in IT and Cyber fields.
- Develop “Mission Ready Airmen” with training focused on skills needed for operational readiness in wartime.
- Transform leadership development and training at U.S. Air Force Academy, Officer Training School, and ROTC to prepare new officers for effective leadership in the context of Great Power Competition.
- Redesign career paths to produce Guardians who meet the high-tech operational demands.
- Reorient Air Combat Command to focus on generating and presenting ready forces to combatant commanders.
- Implement large-scale exercises and mission-focused training for complex military operations.
- Incorporate operational readiness assessments and inspections, reflecting the challenges of a competitive environment.
- Restructure key processes related to aviation spares and weapons systems to improve their health through data-driven and risk-informed decisions.
- Implement Space Force readiness standards that reflect operations under contested conditions.
- Conduct nested exercises in the Space Force to measure readiness and increase complexity.
- Structure Air Force Operational Wings as mission-ready “Units of Action,” categorized as Deployable Combat Wings, In-Place Combat Wings, or Combat Generation Wings.
- Establish the relationship between Combat Wings and Base Command to focus on mission-level readiness and support.
- Elevate AFCYBER to a standalone Service Component Command, recognizing the importance of the cyber mission.
- Formalize Space Force Combat Squadrons as Units of Action and accelerate the implementation of the Space Force Generation model.
- Create a Department of the Air Force Integrated Capabilities Office to lead capability development and resource prioritization.
- Combine efforts to create the Office of Competitive Activities to oversee and coordinate sensitive activities.
- Create a Program Assessment and Evaluation Office for strategic and analytically-based resourcing decisions.
- Establish Integrated Capabilities Command to develop competitive operational concepts and modernization plans.
- Create a new Information Dominance Systems Center to strengthen the Air Force’s focus on Command, Control, Communications, and Battle Management.
- Strengthen support to nuclear forces by expanding the Nuclear Weapons Center.
- Refocus the Life Cycle Management Center as the Air Dominance Systems Center to synchronize aircraft and weapons development.
- Establish an Integration Development Office to provide technology assessments and drive alignment of mission systems.
- Create Space Futures Command to develop concepts, conduct experimentation, and perform mission area design.
The announced changes represent a comprehensive recalibration for the Air Force and Space Force. With an emphasis on developing people, generating readiness, projecting power, and developing capabilities, these transformations will ensure the services remain at the forefront of global competition.
Read More of this Story at www.af.mil – 2024-02-13 02:56:26
Read More Latest News