30-Year-Old Man Accused of Causing the Deaths of FHP Trooper and Truck Driver

Man Arrested and Facing Charges in Fatal Crash Involving FHP Trooper and Truck Driver

A tragic incident occurred in Port St. Lucie, Florida, resulting in the death of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper and a truck driver. The suspect, a 30-year-old man from Lauderhill, has been taken into custody and is now facing multiple charges in connection to the incident.

Suspect Identified and Arrested

Michael Anthony Addison was apprehended at the St. Lucie County Jail on Friday. His first appearance in court took place over Zoom on Saturday morning. Assistant State Attorney David Dodd confirmed Addison’s involvement in the killings.

Charges Filed in Port St. Lucie Incident

The charges against Addison in relation to the incident include two counts of murder, two counts of vehicular manslaughter, two counts of dangerous depraved action without premeditation, fleeing and eluding with lights and siren active, driving on a suspended license resulting in death, resisting officer with violence, and aggravated fleeing with death. Additionally, there are two charges linked to warrants in Broward County for aggravated assault and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Judge Orders Detention on Most Counts

During the hearing, the judge ordered Addison to be held without bond on all counts except for three. Chief Judge Charles “Tony” Schwab of the 19th Judicial Circuit noted that a public defender will initially represent the suspect.

Investigation Still Ongoing

An arrest report is not available at this time, but a redacted report is set to be released on Saturday. Further details about the incident and the ongoing investigation will likely be revealed in the report.

Details of the Crash

According to Col. Gary Howze II of the FHP, Trooper Zachary Fink was pursuing a driver of a white Kia who was behaving recklessly and speeding on I-95. The Kia attempted to evade the pursuit by making a U-turn to drive in the opposite direction on the highway. Unfortunately, Trooper Fink turned with the vehicle and collided with a semi-truck that was traveling in the opposite direction. The driver of the semi-truck died at the scene, while Trooper Fink was transported to HCA Florida Lawnwood Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased.

Driver Apprehended after Manhunt

Following the crash, the driver of the Kia fled the scene on foot, which led to a massive manhunt involving multiple law enforcement agencies. The driver was eventually captured approximately five hours later around 8 a.m. Their identity has not been disclosed by the FHP.

Read More of this Story at www.wptv.com – 2024-02-03 17:26:05

Read More Latest News

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.